Americans are stuck between a rock and a hard place this election. According to the press, there are only two candidates for president: Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Like many Americans, especially conservatives, we are unsure who to vote for. Well, guess what, America! There ARE more than two options and one is a lot better fit for a Conservative belief system than Donald Trump.
Evan McMullin is a very much overlooked candidate. Yet, his beliefs are much more in line with conservative voters, particularly Christian. Although he is Mormon, he believes and practices the same values that many Conservatives.
Why is he a great fit?
- McMullin is pro-life and opposes abortion and does not support “a culture that subsidizes abortion on demand” and calls for action to reduce unintended pregnancies and promote adoption.
- McMullin believes in the traditional marriage between a man and a woman but will not pursue overturning the Supreme Court decision to allow same-sex couples to marry even though he disagrees with it, deciding, instead, to pursue more pressing issues.
- McMullin endorses free trade, including NAFTA and the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership.He also supports the Republican House plan on tax reform including a reduction in the corporate income tax and individual income tax, as well as the estate tax.
- McMullin favors cuts to entitlement programs such as Social Security, and has proposed means-testing the program and raising the retirement age.
- He believes that the climate is changing and that human activity is contributing to it. He would increase investment in technologies that can help limit and decrease our carbon emissions.”
- McMullin has said that if elected president, he would appoint judges to the Supreme Court, similar to Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas.
- McMullin advocates border security but not mass deportation.
- He advocates the provision of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that blocks health insurance companies from denying coverage or discriminating against people with preexisting conditions but hopes to do better than ObamaCare.
- McMullin supports Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- McMullin described himself as a “vocal advocate for international action that would stop Assad’s slaughter of innocent Syrians, and eventually set the stage for a negotiated departure from the country.” He feels we should have done more to support the moderate Syrian opposition, and we still need to do that. He also supports imposing a no-fly zone over Syria to stop the aerial bombardment of Syrian population centers.
- McMullin encourages keeping the Guantanamo Bay detention camp open.
- McMullin has harshly criticized the nuclear agreement with Iran and believes in strengthening sanctions on Iran to force them to make further concessions as well as using the military to enforce it.
- McMullin believes Donald Trump’s public comments were frustrating U.S. counter-terrorism efforts stating that Trump doesn’t realize is that we actually depend on Muslims to do counter-terrorism, to wage war against terrorists.” Trump’s careless remarks concerning Muslims impedes our ability to destroy ISIS because it discourages Muslims from working with us.
- McMullin also criticized Trump’s allegiance to Vladimir Putin, Russian President.
- McMullin opposes the use of torture and has criticized Trump’s support for it.
McMullin, once a CIA operative, professes a Bachelor’s degree in International Law and Diplomacy from Brigham Young University and a Master’s of Business Administration from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. He served as a missionary in Brazil before training at the CIA. He was a senior adviser with the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and the chief policy director of the House Republican Conference.
Because he joined the race late after he and Mindy Finn grew weary of the current candidates, he was too late to get himself on most ballots so he will need to be a write-in candidate in most states.
You know that the main two candidates are unsuitable for president. Hillary Clinton has gotten away with abusing too many laws and Trumps lack of experience as well as a mouth that could one day get our country into trouble does not bode well with our future. We need a different candidate with a heart for human life.
I would encourage you to visit Evan McMullin’s website and find out more about how he stands on many more issues than are mentioned above.